My Photo
Name:
Location: the Tropics

There was once a woman named Jan, Who was hot because she was tan, She loved spicy food, Which she ate in the ‘hood, And spent plenty of time on the can.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Mother-in-laws: I need one like I need a hole in the head!

As if planning for the wedding without P’s help wasn’t stressful enough, his mother is also being a rude pain in the hiney.

The wedding draws closer every day and I am doing my best to organize the last minute details without self-combusting. My dad’s partner Leila has been a great help, taking over the details like flowers and the wedding cake. Leila, her sister, niece and grandniece are making the decorations by hand. She has even picked my bridal bouquet for me and I’m grateful for her support. Left to my own devices, I would probably show up with some week-old carnations bought from the local petrol station! Hello, even my dress was bought off ebay!

We have friends flying in from all over the world: the US, UK, Denmark and even France. Coordinating schedules and activities hasn’t been easy. However, as I want to make sure that we all get to meet up, I drew up a activity list of what we’d be doing in the evenings and where we would be. I sent it out to the wedding party and our overseas guests with this message:

Hi All,

Attached please find the draft activities for the wedding week. Should you have any queries, please feel free to contact me! Thanks again for being a part of our special day!

Of course, they are not compulsory except for the wedding party involved in the wedding rehearsal. But family obligations mean that family flying from overseas should make the time for us... ;-)

A completely tongue-in-cheek email from a very happy bride. However, I received back this email from P’s mum, which totally made my jaw drop:

I do realise that it is very important to you and P, your wedding day and the activities beforehand, but also you must understand that those of us coming from overseas as you put it, are spending a lot of money on flights and coming a long way, and also have minds of our own, and although wish to spend time with you and your family, also would like to do things ourselves, and spend time with those we have not seen for two years.

I was totally shocked when I read that. As far as I’m aware, I have been nothing but generous to P’s family. But I guess I shouldn’t really be surprised at her ‘slap on the hand’ reaction. When I visited them in Oz in March, I found that his mother was very cold, a bitter old woman. Maybe she doesn’t like that her son is marrying a strong woman or she’s really not that happy with her lot in life. Who really knows?

All I do know is that P's family has given me nothing but stress. His sister had asked during my visit if his two nieces could be flower girls and against my better judgment, I said yes. Leila went to the trouble and expense of sourcing two very nice dresses and a couple of months ago, his parents told us that his nieces were not coming because they could not afford it!

That is the biggest joke I have ever heard, because I know that when they moved from Brringland to Oz, P gave them a substantial amount of his savings, more than the deposit I put on my flat.

To pull the money card is really rich, especially when it is their only son who is getting married. If you want to talk about spending a lot of money, let me clarify that his parents have not contributed a single cent to the wedding. P, myself, my dad, Leila and her family are the ones who are paying for the wedding.

The money his parents are spending are on their own flight tickets!! My friends coming from overseas are also doing that so what make's P's parents so special? As far as I can see, it is their arrogance that makes them stand out. What I am offended about is the fact that P's mum hasn't added one positive thing to the celebrations and then has the audacity to write such a 'nose in the air' email.

As for travelling a long way? Give me a break. I have two friends flying over 24-hours from the west coast of the US. If you want to talk about far, THAT'S far! Not some poxy seven-hour flight from Oz.

P's parents presence will not be missed and I have told his mum as much. If I never saw that silly woman again, it would be too soon.

I do not need this extra aggravation and to make myself smile, I found a great website for mother-in-law jokes. I can really relate to them and especially love the Q&A ones!

I know that this is hard for P and I’m honestly very sorry that he has to deal with this a month before the wedding. However, at the end of the day, I just will not put up with her underhanded behaviour and insidious remarks. She can behave like a brat with her own husband, but certainly not with mine and most definitely not with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home