My Photo
Name:
Location: the Tropics

There was once a woman named Jan, Who was hot because she was tan, She loved spicy food, Which she ate in the ‘hood, And spent plenty of time on the can.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Object of My Desire

is a $599 footstool upholstered in 100% silk…

Have you guys ever wanted something beautiful and expensive, but completely impractical?

For the last couple of months, I have had my eye a gorgeous piece of furniture, but I haven’t bought it because there were more pressing priorities in my new apartment.

Now that the blinds are in and the hooks have been hung up behind the bathroom doors, my mind has wandered back to the footstool of my dreams. I have fantasies of coming home after a hard day’s work, and resting my pretty pins on woven silk made up of muted shades of pale blues, browns and cream.

The only thing stopping me from rushing out and buying it now is that the choice for October is either the footstool or food. I could dip into my savings to make this one last little purchase (note to self: do NOT do this), but then it would never end. The next things I would want would be a silk Persian rug (at least $5,000), Swarovski champagne glasses with crystal-filled stems ($600 for a pair), etc. Why oh why do I have such expensive taste?

I wish I could be one of those people who could be happy with mismatched furniture made of mdf and ‘no name’ sofas. Instead, I have filled my apartment with customized teak furniture and hand-embroidered linen bed covers. Even my living room curtain ties are 100% silk batik from Bali. If you think that’s extravagant, listen to this: I use Hermes scarves to tie back the curtains in my bedroom!

So, back to my internal battle of footstool vs food. I have also asked P to eat less this month and to send me another 200 quid. So far, he ain’t biting (no pun intended). Therefore, it seems like I will have to make the ultimate sacrifice and forego food until my next salary, which I will get in three weeks’ time.

However, I am an optimist and maybe something else will come up. My dad still hasn’t bought me a housewarming present (never mind the sum of money he gave me last year, that was last year hee hee).

Also, I have raised quite a few thousand for cancer charities over the past 12 months, so perhaps one of you out there will have a heart and drive a “Buy Jan a Silk Footstool” campaign?

I live in hope…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home