My Photo
Name:
Location: the Tropics

There was once a woman named Jan, Who was hot because she was tan, She loved spicy food, Which she ate in the ‘hood, And spent plenty of time on the can.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Another Fruitful Weekend

As usual, this past Saturday and Sunday just flew by! I did a lot and don’t feel rested at all, story of my life…

I had a Christmas-themed scrapbooking class on Saturday where I made an ornament, card and photo frame (the last was sent out in the email):



A fun class but fiddly, the devil being in the detail. But as I love all things yuletide, I had a great time and now have a hand-made Christmas card for P!!

In a quest to diversify our assets, I have also found a painting to invest in titled ‘Alone’. As we can’t really afford it at the moment, the gallery owner has kindly allowed me to pay for it by instalments! After I committed to buying it, two more people came in and offered him more money. But too late, it was already mine ha ha! That of course, has made me very happy because it means that the painting is saleable.

It is a very large piece with a woman sitting with her back to you showing her side profile. It is semi-abstract figurative, with lots of negative space using whites, pale yellows, black, light and dark greys and a slash of red.

The funny thing is that although I bought another piece of art from this gallery over three years ago, I haven’t been in since. However, something literally pulled me into the gallery that day and when I saw HER up on the wall, I fell in love instantly. Some paintings of women’s figures are too ‘in your face’ or worse, twee. ‘Alone’ is a strong piece but pleasing and is just plain gorgeous. I will post a photo of it once it is hanging up in my living room!

The gallery owner plans on bringing the artist of ‘Alone’ to London next year. If his paintings are successful in Europe, then mine will definitely go up in value: $ker-ching$!

Eventually, I would like to a proper collection of work by up and coming artists from Asia. Although I may not have a lot of knowledge about art at the moment, I do intend to learn. And I also have something else that can’t be taught: an eye for quality and an ability to recognize potential. So exciting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home