My Photo
Name:
Location: the Tropics

There was once a woman named Jan, Who was hot because she was tan, She loved spicy food, Which she ate in the ‘hood, And spent plenty of time on the can.

Friday, April 20, 2007

I've got an Old Man's Disease!

Just when you think life couldn't get any more comic, it does.

Yesterday morning, I woke up at about 4am with a feeling akin to a cramp in my left foot. Not thinking much about it, I went back to bed. When I got up for work a few hours later, the pain was still there, though I decided to go into the office anyway. I spent the day in my Birkenstocks limping around (looking quite silly as the rest of me was dressed corporate) and ignored my colleagues' advice to go to the doctor. I figured that I must just have pulled a muscle while I was sleeping and thought it would be better the next day.

How wrong I was! When I woke up this morning, I could hardly walk at all. In fact, my foot was so swollen and painful that I couldn't put any weight on it and I knew then that something was seriously wrong. I hopped into the bathroom to get ready and Rachel then helped me hop to the waiting taxi, who whisked me off to my company doctor's emergency clinic.

When I got there, the doctor prodded my foot and then told me that I had gout! I was so shocked as I've always thought that only older men had it, but apparently not. He gave me two injections to help ease the pain and sent me home with more tablets and instructions to rest. I've just woken up from a nap and am still in shock.

Part of it is genetic, as I found out that my uncle also suffers from gout. But the other part is dietary, and I realize that I will have to make a major lifestyle change. There are certain foods that trigger the condition and that includes things like liver (my favourite!), anchovies, and alcohol (oh no!!)! I can no longer boast that I keep slim and gorgeous on a diet of fried chicken wings and vodka cranberries. As both Rachel and B-Dawg gleefully pointed out to me, all that partying has come back and bitten me in the a88! Or should I say, the foot.

Attacks normally last between 3 - 10 days and are controllable, though they definitely can recur. I hope that this is a one off and that I'll be better soon. I really do not want to hobble down the aisle on crutches and instead of playing the wedding march, it'll have to be the wedding hop! Argh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home