My Photo
Name:
Location: the Tropics

There was once a woman named Jan, Who was hot because she was tan, She loved spicy food, Which she ate in the ‘hood, And spent plenty of time on the can.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Love and Restaurants: Mutually Exclusive?

I have a theory about restaurants and occasions related to love like Valentine's Day and weddings. The people who run eating establishments must think that those who are in love have mush not just in their hearts, but in their brains too. How else can you explain the sky high prices they charge people for celebrations held at their venues?

Jaded? It is still seven months to the wedding and I've already run the idea of elopement past P. If it wasn't for the fact that I loved my family and friends so much, I would have said, "Let's get the first flight to Vegas!"

We started looking for wedding venues back in December and thought we'd found the perfect place: a refurbished icon that used to be a government building right by the river. However, after several discussions and "unexpected" additional costs later, we decided together with Rachel (our wedding planner) that for the amount of money we were willing to shell out, the requisite customer service was just not there. The people who ran the building considered themselves venue providers and no more, so everything else had to be done on our own with no support from them whatsoever.

On to the next location. What looked at first glance like a perfect setting for our nuptuals has now caused us quite a lot of frustration. It is a tiny french restaurant set in an old colonial building, with a pre-war wall and delicious food that we could treat our loved ones too. Initially, we were looking to have an intimate party for no more than 45 people. However, some of P's family and my dad's friends have asked if they can celebrate with us. Although it causes some logistical issues, I am actually VERY flattered that they want to share our special day and I am more than happy to say yes.

So, from a five-course dinner, we asked the restaurant owner to come up with a buffet menu. As far as I'm aware, buffets are normally cheaper than sit down dinners as there is less serving staff required. However, today he told us that we will have to pay an additional minimum of US$380 for equipment rental! This is on top of over US$5,000 we would have already spent on food and beverages for less than 50 people. He said that he would have to rent chafing dishes, a bain marie, cocktail tables and so on. Is it me or aren't restaurants supposed to supply things like that?! And if they don't have them, it is certainly a long-term investment they should make and spread the cost out over time and several bookings. For that amount of money, heck, I want to KEEP the cocktail tables!

One thing I do know is that we will not be held ransom to any venue. Our island may be small but we always have choices. And I will come back to the essential truth, which is that it is the marriage that is important to us and not the wedding event itself. I know that P and I will have a great party no matter where we are, as long as our family and friends are with us.

So wish us the best as Rachel and I continue our search for the right venue. I know we will find it, even if it takes some time. Now I know why people start planning their wedding a year in advance. What should be a simple exercise is actually a minefield of wrong turns and unexpected surprises (and I don't mean babies). We know a couple in Hong Kong getting married this time next year. Mr Scotland and Ms Fur, don't say you haven't been warned!

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

omfg, for usd380, i will ship the bloody equiptment to you lol!

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home