My Photo
Name:
Location: the Tropics

There was once a woman named Jan, Who was hot because she was tan, She loved spicy food, Which she ate in the ‘hood, And spent plenty of time on the can.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Not Bad for an Old Coot!

Although my dad and I don't always get along, we figure it's because we are so similar. He has told me on many occasions that I am 'just like him'. Sometimes, I see his impatience e.g. with cars on the road and his reaction in comments and/or hand gestures and I think to myself, "Oh my god, that is me!". Scary!

One positive trait we do share though, is that when we set our minds to something, we go for it 100%. Right now, I am into scrapbooking and have thrown myself totally into this hobby. As for my dad, it is his cycling.

Since the beginning of this year, he has trained hard for a 900km ride from the top end of our neighbouring country down to our small island. The ride was scheduled for the second week of August. He cycled almost everyday and trained with his group regularly. He even had overnight sessions over a few Saturdays, causing him to miss P's and my engagement dinner! Now that is commitment.

Anyway, I was in my scrapbook class yesterday morning when I received a text from a friend asking me if it was my dad in the newspaper. None of my classmates had the paper but one of them spotted a customer in the scrapbook shop who did, so I accosted the guy who gladly gave his copy to me!

There on page 4 was my old man in all his glory (newspaper article attached in email). It was a very cool pic of him crossing the finish line after the week-long race. At almost 70, he was the oldest member of the entire group of 40+ people. They cycled between 100 - 150km every single day. Not something I would voluntarily choose to do, but undeniably impressive anyway. He is incredibly fit and I must say that I felt a frisson of pride when I saw the article.

Well done, Dad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home