My Photo
Name:
Location: the Tropics

There was once a woman named Jan, Who was hot because she was tan, She loved spicy food, Which she ate in the ‘hood, And spent plenty of time on the can.

Monday, August 21, 2006

I'm all Hot, Sweaty and Out of Breath!

Since I joined the bike hash a few months ago, my flatmate Rachel has seen me collapse home in a heap on more than one Sunday afternoon. I often have had to crawl from the front door to my bed, legs a-shaking and wrists so sore that I can't lift anything heavier than a glass of vodka cranberry. However, in spite of the pain, I keep going back time after time. What makes me do it? After all, I just don't enjoy exercising. In fact, there is nothing better to me than chilling out, drink in hand (which is what I'm doing now, by the way). And it can't be the $60 membership fee. I spend more than that on one half of a pair of shoes.

It's simple, as with any fantastic experience that I have, it's all about the people. I just love the bike hash crew.

Being a person who has very long-lasting friendships, I felt that our little circle of friends had gotten into a rut lately. We all seemed to be seeing the same old faces, hanging out at the same watering holes, etc, etc, etc. So this past Sunday, I managed to convince Rachel and my friend Natalie (who were both a part of my Truth is Stranger than Fiction night, see below) to try out the running hash.

We got to the site, or what we thought was the site, and 10 minutes before the run started, there were still no others in sight. Not a good start. After much calling around, we drove to another location and were surrounded by hashers called Hard Licker, Spiderman and so on. I knew then that we were in the right place.

The run/walk started pleasantly enough. With 30-odd men and women of all ages and nationalities trailing at the back of people's houses and across drains, it seemed like I had come up with another bright if quirky idea. The weather was gorgeous, the sun setting with just a hint of a breeze. The three of us managed to stay together at first but I realized very shortly into the run that I could not keep up with Rachel and Natalie. What gave me that idea? See the photo. This was taken two minutes after we started and they were already several hundred metres ahead of me (it looks like I am a lot closer than that because I cropped it)!

To my credit, I did try running. I lasted for oh, 200 metres? Actually it was probably more like 100 metres but I was in such pain that I couldn't really judge properly. In my defence, it was on an uphill stretch. My lungs felt like they were about to burst and I seriously felt sick. Being too out of breath to speak, I used sign language and waved the two of them to go on ahead without me. I think part of why I had difficulty breathing was also because I was eating their dust....
















To my relief, I was not the only one at the back of the pack. I fell in with two other women who were also as slow as I was and we walked together for a while. I was feeling pretty good about myself, until I found out they had both recently had two months off work recovering from major surgery!!

On that depressing note, I took a short cut and went back to the start of the run. All in all, I probably walked five km, while Rachel and Natalie covered closer to eight. On a positive note, they both really enjoyed the hash and will go regularly!

Me? I'm a biker babe and I'll stick with my boys from the SBH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home